Saturday, April 28, 2012

Tell me your "Second Language Story"

Hello friends, here is my latest language "survey" which I've also posted via Facebook.

Would love to hear some of your stories ^_^

***********************
I'd love to hear about what (second) language you've always wanted to learn (English? Spanish? Chinese? Japanese? Russian?), and hear your own personal story about WHY and HOW you came to want to learn that language i.e. what was the original motivating factor for you?

For example, was it a specific person(s) you wanted to be able to communicate with? A movie or book or music you wanted to be able to enjoy in the original language? etc.

Your story can be normal and straightforward, or it can be surprising and/or funny, but more than anything I'd love to hear from as many people as possible and get a broad spectrum of stories on WHY people chose to study the languages that they do.

I understand that sharing this kind of story can be a pretty private thing, so if you would like to help me out, please share your story via private message via my Facebook or my email (see below).

Facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/petershin45

***********************
With that said, it's only fair that I start things off by sharing my own silly but all-too-true story haha.

I started learning Spanish since middle school (7th grade) not because I really wanted to but because everyone was required to take a second language back then, and between the two choices of French or Spanish, I chose Spanish because I figured it would be more useful since more people speak it.

But then sometime in high school, I found out about this woman named Adriana Lima (see picture below), a Brazilian supermodel, and I was in love at first sight. I had a large-size poster of this exact same image on my wall all throughout college.


I wanted to get really good at Spanish so that when I met her, I could really communicate with her and impress her with my mad skillz.

I would soon find out though, to my horror, that they don't speak Spanish in Brazil.

***CUE DRAMATIC MUSIC***

But fortunately for me, not too long after, I did some Google research and was relieved to learn that Adriana Lima actually is fluent in Spanish as well (WHEW THAT WAS CLOSE). Thus, my quest to learn Spanish was not all for naught, as I had initially feared.

Again, if you have your own language story you'd like to share, please let me know via private Facebook message or via email.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/petershin45

Email: pshin45@gmail.com

Thanks so much, it would mean the world to me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment