Sunday, January 8, 2012

Selected B-School Essay #1

Please describe a time when you had to make a decision without having all the information you needed. (500 words or fewer, limited to one page)

I have always loved the game of poker because where many people see it as a form of degenerate gambling, I see it as a perfect simulation of real life, taking risks, and trying to innovate. The thrill (and terror) of poker lies in the fact that you cannot see what hand your opponents are holding; thus you are constantly playing amidst extreme uncertainty such that there is almost never a “correct” or “perfect” move, because even the most well-played hand can still be vulnerable to bad luck or the illogical play of your opponent, not unlike a well-made, cool new IT product that never quite gets off the ground.

For example, I didn’t even know what a “product manager” was at the time, but that’s exactly what I became in late 2010 for a new online banking app called “Wishlist” that would make saving for one’s various financial goals aka “Wishes” amazingly fun, simple, and easy. The underlying concept of “Wishlist” seemed like a no-brainer – Everyone wants to save more money, so who wouldn’t want to use a product that can make it easier and more fun to do so? But even so, there were plenty of times where I felt absolutely terrified that the Wishlist I was making would never find a market and would become a spectacular failure. But then I realized that this was the same kind of terror I felt when faced with a decision to go “all-in” at the poker table, knowing it was the right move to make but afraid of the potential repercussions of getting unlucky. So I soldiered on and launched my “Wishlist” this past December 19th and while the jury is still out on its ultimate success, I built it as well as I possibly could have and all I can do now is see what the “cards” (i.e. customers) have to say about it.

I’ve played what feels like millions of hands of high-stakes poker, and I’ve taken calculated risks with millions of dollars of my employer’s money, but I know that going forward I will be dealing with a level of risk unlike anything I’ve experienced before. By becoming an entrepreneur, I will truly be going “all-in” with my life and putting at stake my youth, lots of my own and my future investors’ money, and the hopes of having a “normal,” comfortable lifestyle, all for the payoff of being able to pursue my dreams and make the world a better place.

I’m thrilled because I’ve finally found something I can do for the rest of my life, but I’m also terrified because I have no idea if I really have what it takes to be a successful entrepreneur, and even then I could just get really unlucky. But it’s times like this where I know now to take a deep breath, remind myself that this is the right move to make, confidently push all my chips into the middle, and wait to see what Lady Luck has in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment